Never before in the history of the Church has the essential role of the layperson been so dramatically emphasized as it is now. Particularly since Vatican II, the Church has called for a renewal in the life and role of the laity. Yet, for many of us we don't understand what that means.
To be able to fulfill our important role in the Church, we must more clearly understand the Church's teaching on laity. We must recognize that the lay state is indeed a "vocation" and integral to the mission of the Church.
With the Today's Disciples Leader's Guide edition of the Catholic Faith Explorers series, participants will learn:
- the lay state is a "vocation" derived from our Baptism
- the role of the laity is essential in accomplishing the mission of the Church
- laypeople are called to engage in the affairs of the world and direct them according to God's will
- the unique capability that laypeople have to bring Christ's divine message of salvation to every aspect of life, and
- how to discern one's calling.